ChannelAdvisor Same Store Sales (SSS) for March 2011
Note: This is a monthly feature published by ChannelAdvisor highlighting the Same Store Sales (SSS) across our wide range of over 3000 retailers and ~$3b in GMV. Details on the SSS including methodology and schedule can be found in this post.
Today we are releasing March data for Marketplaces (eBay/Amazon), Search and Comparison Shopping Engines (CSE) along with supplemental data.
March 2011 results
March continued the strong growth we are seeing in e-commerce in 2011. Here are the highlights:
- Amazon - Amazon came in at 70.3% y/y growth for March a very strong showing, and continues to show Amazon's impressive share gains.
- eBay - eBay accelerated slightly for our customers, coming in at 6.5% y/y vs. February's 2.5% growth
- CSE - Comparison Shopping Engines continued to struggle in March continuing to decelerate to -7.1% y/y making them the slowest growing e-commerce channel we track. They appear to be feeling the impact from Google's Panda update - a topic we'll be exploring in more detail over on CSEStrategies.com.
- Search - Search slowed in March, coming in at 13.9%, down from February's robust 24.9%. All of the interior numbers look good, and this appears to be a tough comp.
- Overall - Overall we see that e-commerce in March came in at 7.64%, a slight dip from the 11.3% in February. Wall St. analysts I talked to at Catalyst cited some macro economic items that may put some short-term pressure on overall retail sales, including online. Consumer confidence has dipped most likely due to budget headlines as well as rising gas prices. In the UK, they are struggling with austerity measures that seem to be slowing down everything. We'll continue to monitor things as we go through the year. Next month I'll be in the UK and can get a better feel for the mood of consumers and online sellers which we'll report here.
The following chart details the SSS data for 2010 through March 2011: (click to enlarge)
SeekingAlpha disclosure: I am long Google and Amazon. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor where I am CEO.