Holiday 2011 - Thanksgiving early read on e-commerce
This is the second part of our detailed scheduled Holiday 2011 coverage. For details on the coverage plan and the seven themes we'll be looking at, be sure to read this post first.
Today we are releasing our early read on Thanksgiving. What we've done is compare the intra-day SSS from Thanksgiving 2010 to Thanksgiving 2011 from midnight to 3pm ET.
There are lots of disclaimers on this data:
- It's intraday and since we only ran through 3pm ET, we missed most of the West coast activity.
- We're looking at Thanksgiving to see if the trends we saw last year with Thanksgiving becoming a serious shopping day have continued.
- We'll be releasing the complete Thanksgiving report tomorrow when we report our early BlackFriday read.
Here are the early results:
- Overall Thanksgiving 2011 is trending 15% higher than 2010
- Marketplaces were up 14%
- Search is up 13%
- CSE is up 1%
- eBay is up 7%
- Amazon is up 27%
Within eBay, some trends:
- Auctions were down 37% (makes sense as Auctions are not a great format for holiday shopping - you want to know you are going to get something vs. waiting 7 days)
- Fixed price was up 13%
- Parts and Accessories were up 25%
The next report will be tomorrow as we provide a Black Friday intraday update. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
SeekingAlpha Disclosure - I am long Amazon and Google, eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor where I am CEO.