Holiday 2012: Day 3 of the Cyber Five - Cyber Saturday Results
- Overall - Back in 2010, we used to see a significant dip on the weekend after Black Friday. Conventional wisdom was that people were out shopping and not on their computers. In 2011 we saw this change and in 2012, we saw a lot more activity on Cyber Saturday than we have seen historically. Why? I believe mobile is really driving this trend. Yes, people are out shopping, but they have their tablets and smartphones with them. As you can see mobile went from 17% of the traffic in 2011 to 31.6% in 2012 - practically a double. Tablets doubled from 7.7% to 15.6% and smartphones were up 6.7%. So while consumers are out looking for their items, they are using their mobile devices to shop simultaneously online and offline. The lines have truly blurred.
- Amazon - Amazon was up 43.4% y/y on Cyber Saturday, a new high water mark this holiday. As we spot check top selling items in most categories, we are seeing that Amazon is out of stock and thus you would expect to see an increase in 3P sales as they are increasingly acting as back-fill for an out-of-stock Amazon.
- eBay continues to exceed expectations - they grew 36% y/y on Cyber Saturday which is also their high watermark. When compared to last year's 12.3%, they are growing a 3X the pace of last year! With growth rates like this, driven by mobile and a new focus on fixed-price, eBay is increasingly attractive as an e-commerce channel for merchants of any size and scale.
- CSE bounced back from Black Friday to come in at up 9.4% which is strong compared to last year's 4%.
- Search was sluggish at 3.3%, again due to searchers clicking over on the more attractive/informative Google Shopping results.
- Monday, November 26 (Cyber Monday)- We'll be releasing Cyber Sunday results and have an early read on Cyber Monday with updates throughout the day.
- Tuesday, November 27 - We'll be reporting complete Cyber Monday and Cyber Five updates
- Thursday, December 6 - We'll release complete November SSS results with added color
- Friday, December 7 – We’ll take a look at the first week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 14 – We’ll check in on the second week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 21- We’ll see how things are looking during the third week of December
- Monday, January 7, 2013- We’ll share December 2012 SSS and Holiday Wrap Up
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, CEO, ChannelAdvisor. I am long Amazon and Google. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.