Holiday 2012: Week 2 Results and news items
Today we are releasing our second early read on Holiday 2012 - our look at the second week of November and November Month-to-date SSS results.
Here is our Holiday 2012 Tracker Dashboard:
Holiday 2012 week 2 observations
Week two results are in the third column in the dashboard and it's most interesting to compare trends to week 1. What you notice is:
- Amazon slowed slightly from 40.7% to 33.9% - this is nothing to panic about, you frequently see these ebbs and flows in these short timeframes. Amazon's SSS is still growing 2X e-commerce. This is a good time to remind you that our Amazon SSS is pure 3P and sometimes during the holidays we need to see Amazon sell out of a SKU before our SSS really kick in.
- eBay accelerated from 22.5% to 26.7% - historically eBay has been back-end loaded so we don't expect to see the real action there until usually the first week of December. Once hot items go out of stock, eBay really lights up. It is both encouraging and interesting to see such an early acceleration, but again, these types of moves at the weekly level are not uncommon
- CSE improved from down 20% to down 14.9% - a solid 5% move.
- Search saw the biggest move of 11.7% going from down 20% to down 8.3% Whereas eBay is very holiday back-end loaded, search is typically very front-end loaded so this is a good move to see. If you think of a sales funnel, this pre-Thanksgiving time is a great timeframe for consumers to start doing their product research - and they turn to search for that.
Overall we feel positive about these trends and they indicate we seem to be bouncing back from the Sandy/Election hangover we saw in the first week.
Holiday 2012 November MTD observations
If you look at the fourth column, we provide a first half of November summary for your benefit.
Holiday 2012 News Items
As we get into the last days of the Holidays, several of the e-commerce channels made their last push of new functionality for the holidays:
- Groupon Goods launched a general Wish Book and a Toy Book - these are interesting steps outside of their typical "here are ten deals today" kind of model and hint at the potential for more persistent/long-living deals. You can check out Toys here and Wish Book here.
- Pinterest had a surprise announcement. They are opening the doors to businesses. Most online businesses in the jewelry/apparel categories already have an organic presence on Pinterest and now they are making it official. It will be interesting to see if they attempt to monetize this in some way by collecting affiliate commissions for links or create more of a marketplace type solution as their competitor Fancy has done (You can guess which we would prefer @ChannelAdvisor ;-) You can read the details and sign up for your Pinterest business account at business.pinterest.com
- Google Shopping - Google announced two pretty cool new features - first they launched 360 degree spinning/rotating image technology on many top items. Second they have a (wait for it....) Pinterest feature(!) called ShortLists. You can have fun with a 360 degree spin-able furby here (I was able to get him to spin a good 10 times on one big mouse drag - see if you can beat that!) and here's a look at my star wars shortlist: (I couldn't figure out how to share it unfortunately so no link available):
This concludes our Week 2 update, the remaining schedule is:
- Tuesday, November 20 – We’ll report November MTD trends pre-Thanksgiving
- Thursday, November 22 (Thanksgiving) - We'll share an early read on Thanksgiving trends
- Friday, November 23 (Black Friday) - We'll have an early read on Black Friday trends
- Saturday, November 24 (Cyber Saturday)- We'll be releasing complete Black Friday details
- Sunday, November 25 (Cyber Sunday)- We'll be sharing Cyber Saturday results
- Monday, November 26 (Cyber Monday)- We'll be releasing Cyber Sunday results and have an early read on Cyber Monday
- Tuesday, November 27 - We'll be reporting complete Cyber Monday and Cyber Five updates
- Thursday, December 6 - We'll release complete November SSS results with added color
- Friday, December 7 – We’ll take a look at the first week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 14 – We’ll check in on the second week of December and Holiday YTD
- Friday, December 21- We’ll see how things are looking during the third week of December
- Monday, January 7, 2013- We’ll share December 2012 SSS and Holiday Wrap Up
Written by Scot Wingo, CEO, ChannelAdvisor. I am long Google and Amazon. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.