Holiday 2012: Second week of December SSS Results
Today we are releasing ChannelAdvisor Same Store Sale (SSS) results (methodology is here) for the first two weeks of December (December 1-15 inclusive - compared to December 1-15 last year). We also had a lot of requests for a Holiday YTD measure and have included that in the third column. The Holiday YTD compares 2012 Thanksgiving-12/15 inclusive to the same time last year. What's unique about measuring this period of time in this way is that it captures the fact that we have an extra two days in the 2012 period vs. 2011 which is a reality of the way the calendar works this year. When we measure 12/1-12/15 the impact of the extra days is not captured.
Here are some thoughts on the results from the first two weeks of December 2012:
- Overall the holiday has definitely been more front-end loaded with more growth in the November/CyberFive continuing the trend we have seen over the last 2-3 years of consumers buying gifts earlier and earlier in the season.
- Amazon's growth came in at 25.7% for December and 38.5% HYTD. Amazon continues to grow 2-3X e-commerce rates and take share.
- eBay continued a robust holiday coming in at 23.5% y/y growth for the first two weeks of December and trending at up 36.5% HYTD.
- CSE had a very strong showing for the first two weeks up 13.8% , largely driven by the performance of Google Shopping (Product Listing Ads). HYTD was at 10.9%, also driven by Google Shopping.
- Search was down 18.8% (cannibalization from the above Google Shopping) for the first two weeks of December, with HYTD showing a bit less negative trend coming in at down 13.1%.
This Friday our holiday coverage continues as we look at the results for week three of December. Here's the detailed schedule:
- Friday, December 21- We’ll see how things are looking during the third week of December
- Monday, January 7, 2013- We’ll share December 2012 SSS and Holiday Wrap Up
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, CEO, ChannelAdvisor. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.