eBay Q4 2012 results preview
This Wednesday, January 16 after the market closes, eBay will be releasing their Q4 2012m results. Everyone will be watching closely to see how the world's largest marketplace performed during the critical holiday period.
In our Same Store Sales data, we saw eBay's GMV up 27.2%, 27.4% and 22.2% (Oct/Nov/Dec), which was a nice acceleration.
eBay Q4 Dashboard
As usual, before the results, we are publishing our dashboard so sellers/retailers can track the relevent pieces of the results:
Shortly after eBay announces, we will update the dashboard with the actuals to see how they did vs. their own guidance, wall st. expectations, Q3 12 and Q4 11.
What else are we looking for?
In addition to the 'usual suspects', we'll be watching for these trends:
- eBay has 'soft launched' their new global shipping program. It seems to be going well for users, but we'd like to hear more about any milestones for the program.
- Mobile mobile mobile - when we look at our SSS data for the CyberFive, we saw mobile as high as 40% during key holiday shopping days. We believe eBay and Amazon are uniquely positioned with great apps, lots of inventory and a integrated payments to benefit from mobile in an outsized way. Paypal also has some interesting mobile stats usually.
- Any insights into user growth are always of interest
- Growth rate of top rated sellers vs. above standard sellers.
- Any changes in mix between US/Domestic and FB/Auctions - Q3 was 40% US, 60% intl and 66% FP,
ChannelAdvisor calculates same-store sales based on the gross merchandise value (GMV) processed through the ChannelAdvisor platform by customers that have been using ChannelAdvisor software for at least a year, removing any customer additions or attrition.
Scot Wingo wrote this blog. He is CEO of ChannelAdvisor. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.