eBay's Devin Wenig, President Global Marketplaces, joins Catalyst US lineup!
I'm really excited to announce today that eBay's Devin Wenig, their President of Global Marketplaces will be joining us at Catalyst Americas this year.
Background on Catalyst
We started the Catalyst show ~10yrs ago because we found that none of the other conferences offered a tight focus on what we call e-commerce channels: search, comparison shopping, marketplaces and the innovative forces behind these channels (mobile, social, cross-border trade, etc.)
This year Catalyst will be held in Las Vegas, NV April 29-May 1. Highlights include:
- We have a ChannelAdvisor-user focused pre-conference (April 29)
- There will also be an AutoCommerce pre-conference held April 29 focused exclusively on retailers in the automobile parts and accessories industry.
- The main conference kicks off the evening of the 29th and wraps on May 1.
This year we are taking Catalyst to a whole new level and having eBay's President of Global Marketplaces is a big part of that.
To set the stage a bit, here's a little background on Devin:
Background on Devin
- Devin has a BA from Union College (upstate NY) and a JD from Columbia University Law School
- 2003-2006 - He held several positions at Reuters and served on the board
- 2006-2008 - He was COO of Reuters Group LLC
- 2008-2011 - He was CEO of Thompson Reuters Markets
- 2011+ Devin joined eBay in September of 2011 as the President of eBay Global Marketplaces
In his 18-yr career before eBay, Devin had a huge amount of senior leadership experience as well as a lot of global responsibilities, making him a great addition to the eBay team.
One logical question is what are Devin's responsibilities at eBay?
- Devin reports directly to CEO John Donahoe and essentially is responsible for the marketplace business at eBay Inc.
- This includes all of the global marketplaces (US, EU, Asia) as well as other pieces of the marketplace business (ebay.com, the global sites, mobile apps for eBay, local innovations, etc.)
- In addition to marketplaces he runs:
- Stubhub (top ticketing marketplace)
- Classifieds (eBay operates 10+ classified businesses)
- Shopping.com (old-school CSE)
- Half.com (old-school marketplace)
- brands4friends (EU flash sale site eBay acquired a while back)
What are we going to talk about?
I'm going to be leading a fireside chat with Devin on Tuesday, April 30 @4:15. What I love about the fireside chat format is that we can be unscripted and let the conversation go where it takes us. That being said, I have about 8hrs of questions I want to put into that one hour including topics such as:
- What is his take on the eBay Spring changes?
- eBay is doing a lot around cross-border-trade (CBT) and Devin has been very vocal about it being a top priority of his - I'd love to know his thoughts there and how he arrived at this conclusion after being at eBay a short amount of time.
- Mobile - you can't talk about eBay's dramatic turnaround without thinking about mobile. I'd love to hear what Devin has to say about this trend.
- Social - eBay has been sitting out this party for the most part. Would love to hear why and any thoughts Devin has here.
- Sellers - Finally and most importantly, how does Devin (and eBay) think about sellers? Towards the end of the Whitman regime, the relationship between eBay and its sellers hit rock bottom and now is very high. I'd love to hear Devin's thoughts on that.
What do you want to hear?
Since we talk to thousands of retailers on a regular basis @ChannelAdvisor, we have a pretty good idea of what is top of mind with folks, but part of the fun of Catalyst is this is YOUR show. To that spirit, if anyone has any questions you want to hear from Devin on, feel free to comment on this post and I'll see if we can fit them in.
In addition to Devin's keynote, eBay will be bringing a very large team and presenting on a variety of topics. This is one of the few opportunities you will have for one-on-one time with a plethora of eBay employees.
Where do I sign up?
Past attendees tell us that Catalyst is THE show they can't miss every year because it helps them both strategically (channel expansion, global expansion, etc.) and tactically (you will leave with 5-10 easy to implement items that will help grow your business). You can register today by visiting: www.channeladvisor.com/catalyst2013
This blog post was written by Scot Wingo, CEO of ChannelAdvisor. eBay is an investor in ChannelAdvisor.