eBay Q3 2013 results preview (seller oriented metrics)
This week on Wednesday 10/16, eBay announces Q3 results after the market closes (~4:30pm ET). In this post we preview the Q3 report and provide an overview of what we will be watching for from a seller's perspective.
comScore just released their Q3 growth report for e-commerce showing 13.2% y/y growth a slight deceleration from Q2's 15.5%. Note: comScore's data does not include mobile.
Our average Q3 SSS increase for eBay's GMV was 18.9% which is strong considering the 13.2% comScore number.
eBay Q3 Dashboard
As usual, before the results, we are publishing our dashboard so sellers/retailers can track the relevent pieces of the results:
Shortly after eBay announces, we will update the dashboard with the actuals to see how they did vs. their guidance, wall st. expectations and Q2 13.
What else are we looking for?
In addition to the 'usual suspects', we'll be watching for these trends:
- eBay continues to focus on CBT with their global shipping program. A number of our sellers are seeing very good results here and it will be interesting to see if eBay calls it out at all. eBay added several new countries this quarter.
- Mobile mobile mobile - eBay likes to reveal some interesting mobile stats which we watch with interest.
- Any insights into user growth are always of interest
- Growth rate of top rated sellers vs. above standard sellers.
- In our SSS data, we noted some softness in eBay Motors P+A and strength in auctions (Cassini-driven). It will be interesting to note if this is reflected in the overall eBay Q3 results.